RSS

INQ Valeria
01/08/2017 2:31 am  

When:

Saturday September 30th, 2017.  0900-1800

Where:

Crowne Plaza Denver International Airport

Entrance Fee:

$5 (plus day or weekend registration badge at the convention)

Restrictions:

• ·         Batallion Detachment ONLY. No other detachment may be selected, and armies must be battle forged.
  • No understrength units
  • Matched play rules will be in effect.
  • ·         Models must have 4 colors of paint, minimum.

Any codex that is released up to and including Saturday the 23rd of September (the last Saturday release before the event) MAY be played. This is optional; any player may choose to play with index forces instead. HOWEVER, a player must select either index or codex to play from and cannot mix and match.  For example, index Space Marine players will not be allowed to use the Space Marine stratagems or chapter tactics presented in the new codex.

Players MAY use both index and codex for forces in their army as long as they are not part of the same faction. For example, a Codex Space Marines player may also bring index Astra Militarum in their detachment.

Official GW FAQs released up to and including Saturday the 23rd of September will be used in the event.

The player who finishes deploying first will have a +1 in a rolloff to determine which player goes first.

Missions will be a mix of Eternal War (points scored at the end of the game) and Progressive (points gathered during the game).

Awards:

• Most Battle Points
  • Favorite Player
  • Best Hobby 
  • Top award will go to the Best Overall in all three categories.

Maximum points in each category are: Battle Points (45), Hobby (20), and Sportsmanship (15).

There will be no cash prizes. All proceeds not paid to the convention for table space will be put into terrain for Genghis/TactiCon 2018

Schedule:

Sign in: 0900

Round 1: 0930-1145

Lunch: 1145-1245

Round 2: 1245-1500

Round 3: 1515-1730

Awards: 1800

Edited: 3 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote
mrobohn
02/08/2017 2:30 am  

Hello,

What counts as an understrength unit?  For example, a maximum sized unit of Craftworld guardians is 20 guardians, but initial inclusion in a force is usually 10 guardians.  Does each squad of guardians need to be 20 or it is understrength?

Thank You,

M

ReplyQuote
Shea
 Shea
02/08/2017 1:50 pm  
Posted by: mrobohn

Hello,

What counts as an understrength unit?  For example, a maximum sized unit of Craftworld guardians is 20 guardians, but initial inclusion in a force is usually 10 guardians.  Does each squad of guardians need to be 20 or it is understrength?

Thank You,

M

PG 242 of ze rulebook:

Understrength Units

Each unit's datasheet will describe how many models make up that unit. Sometimes you may find that you do not have enough models to field a minimum-sized unit; if this is the case, you can still include one unit of that type in your army with as many models as you have available.

If you are using points, you must still pay the points cost as if you had a minimum-sized unit, even though it contains fewer models.  An understrength unit still takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment.

The Emperor Commands Us.
Dorn Guides Us.
Honor Shields Us.

Fear Our Name.
For it is Vengeance.
-Black Templars

ReplyQuote
INQ Valeria
02/08/2017 7:00 pm  

Correct.  As Shea said, the term "understrength" has an official definition now as any squad that would start the game under the minimum size. 

ReplyQuote
Rorschach
04/08/2017 2:39 pm  

First, I want to emphasize how great it is to be excited about a local Con tourney again! Thanks for running it, and for taking steps to curb all Stormraven armies and such 🙂

Will Designer's Commentary count as FAQ? (Esp regarding setting up in reserve)

To be clear, is the restriction to ONE Battalion Detachment? Or up to three Battalion Detachments per 2000pts Matched Play?

It says all Matched Play Rules in effect - to be clear, does that cover putting 50% of pts in Reserve? Will scenarios limit or modify that?

There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.
- Ray Bradbury
----------------------------
Guild Ball: Masons, Union
Warhammer 40,000: Adeptus Mechanicum, Custodes, Primarines/ Age of Sigmar: Skaven, Khorne Bloodbound /
Malifaux: Arcanists, Ten Thunders, Lilith, Viktorias / RuneWars: Waiquar
Arena Rex: Zephyri / Blood Bowl: Skaven
Firestorm Armada: Relthoza, Syndicate, Ba'Kash / Firestorm Planetfall: Relthoza / Dystopian Wars: Blazing Sun, Prussians /
Star Trek Attack Wing: Dominion, Mirror, Klingons / X-Wing: Imperial, Scum and Villainy
Warmachine: Cygnar, Mercs / Batman Miniatures: Suicide Squad / Marvel Miniatures: Dr. Doom
Boardgames: Most / Card Games: DC Deckbuilders, Star Trek, Legend of the Five Rings

ReplyQuote
INQ Valeria
09/08/2017 3:07 am  

Yay! Glad you're excited. I am too. =] 

Designer's Commentary is explicitly illustrating the intent of the rules, so yes it will count as an FAQ regarding rules decisions should conflicts arise. 

The restriction is ONE battalion detachment. It said that in the blurb we sent in to be posted on the event listing at their website, but didn't make it here. And for some reason I can't edit my original post anymore. 

Scenarios will not modify the matched play requirement to deploy at least 50% of your army on the table.

We will, however, be instituting a general rule that any units deployed into reserve must be deployed last. As in you must alternate deploying units on the table with your opponent until ALL of your remaining units are to be deployed in reserve before you can deploy any into reserve. 

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote
Rorschach
09/08/2017 4:46 am  
Posted by: INQ Valeria

The restriction is ONE battalion detachment. 

Cool. Limiting in many ways, but that's a good thing too. Auction take will help decide what I can afford to build up - Primaris or Mechanicum. But I can't take them together without losing the special Tactics (for pure Detachments only)

We will, however, be instituting a general rule that any units deployed into reserve must be deployed last. As in you must alternate deploying units on the table with your opponent until ALL of your remaining units are to be deployed in reserve before you can deploy any into reserve. 

I dig this - The deploy last, go last thing is possibly my least favorite aspect in 8th. 

Some more Marine Questions (maybe we'll have an FAQ for this soon, but here goes):

Can Successor Chapters use Relics or Warlord Traits of their parent Chapters? It's specific for Tactics and Stratagems, but not those. (And I assume they CANNOT use a 'Counts As Special Character from their Parent)

Is there any limit on how many times a Stratagem can be used, as long as you have the CP's to spend? For example, could I spend 3 CP to use "Strike from the Shadows" three times during set-up? 

Per your deployment restriction above, would a SftS deployed unit have to deploy like a reserve choice?

SftS is the only "deploy more than 9 inches from the Enemy" rules I know of that doesn't occur at the end of the movement phase. Does this mean a unit deployed that way can move as normal in the first Move phase? (Hopefully this is FAQ'd, I can play it either way). 

And one last clarification - For anything required to deploy MORE than 9" away at the end of the Move phase, does this mean they must roll a 9 on their charge rolls to get within a inch to successfully charge? (i.e. being 9.01 inches away and rolling just an 8 still leaves you 1.01 inches away...)

Thanks for the patience! 

(and yes, I write requirements and tech specs at work a lot, so I can't help it with the precision thing. 🙂 )

There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.
- Ray Bradbury
----------------------------
Guild Ball: Masons, Union
Warhammer 40,000: Adeptus Mechanicum, Custodes, Primarines/ Age of Sigmar: Skaven, Khorne Bloodbound /
Malifaux: Arcanists, Ten Thunders, Lilith, Viktorias / RuneWars: Waiquar
Arena Rex: Zephyri / Blood Bowl: Skaven
Firestorm Armada: Relthoza, Syndicate, Ba'Kash / Firestorm Planetfall: Relthoza / Dystopian Wars: Blazing Sun, Prussians /
Star Trek Attack Wing: Dominion, Mirror, Klingons / X-Wing: Imperial, Scum and Villainy
Warmachine: Cygnar, Mercs / Batman Miniatures: Suicide Squad / Marvel Miniatures: Dr. Doom
Boardgames: Most / Card Games: DC Deckbuilders, Star Trek, Legend of the Five Rings

ReplyQuote
Stephan
17/08/2017 4:08 pm  

I've also got a couple questions.

Regarding all-or-noting for Codex vs Index, the Warhammer Community site put out a statement that complicates it a bit:

"Secondly, if you’re a Thousand Sons player, you may have noticed that the Dark Hereticus discipline in the new codex is larger than the one in the Index. Don’t worry – the discipline isn’t being replaced and you won’t need to get Codex: Chaos Space Marines to keep using it. Similarly, if you have Codex: Chaos Space Marines, you’re welcome to use the expanded Dark Hereticus powers with your Thousand Sons Psykers. If you’re a Daemons player, this change also applies to Be’lakor."

I'm a Thousand Sons player, so I want to make absolutely certain whether this will be considered an exception to the "all index or all codex" rule you've instituted, or if that rule still stands as a truly all-or-nothing.  I'm good either way.

My other question is on substitutions.  I've got some of the new Castellax-Achea robots from Forge World that I've painted up, and I was thinking of using them as Hellbrutes since they match my army scheme and look really nice. 

Last thing, I live in Aurora and have recently come into a fair amount of the Mechanicum and Administratum terrain.  It's base coated but not fully painted, but I'm willing to bring it if you need any extra.  I'll some pics on FB messenger if you're interested, so you can see what I've got.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register