Forum 2017-04-10T16:14:40+00:00

My First Impression after a 50 power game  

RSS

Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
10/08/2017 10:45 pm  

WOW ! I really like this edition, and here is why. 

No Templates- At  first I wasn't sure how 8th edition was going to deal with the no template thing. I believe  they did a great  job with it after playing it. For someone like me who couldn't roll scatter dice to save his life, the lack  of randomness really makes me enjoy the game more. 

Vehicles can take hits  now!- So my Landraider  didn't get  one-shotted by a meltagun for the first time ever in a game.  I really  appreciated that. This takes me to the next point...

Mechanics  match the theme- So as with the vehicles, things like Assassins and Terminators  seem to work kind of  how I would imagine them working. For example in  the game I played against Nick (Which I lost  by the way) His  Vindicare Temple Assassin popped out of no where  and took out my Watch Master. Yes, this sucked for me, but I also thought it was awesome. I should fear assassins! I did not fear them in previous editions (my experience being with  5th, 6th and 7th mostly). 

Power?  -  As with the templates, the idea of using power  instead  of points and having a lascannon equal to a boltgun seemed way off to me. However, since your opponent can do it too, it actually weirdly worked out. I can see that  certain  individuals in a tournament situation  would probably cheese this to the max so I like that they have a point system too, but I was surprised at how balanced the Power thing played out. 

So even though I lost this game, it was way more fun than winning a grueling 2k point game in 6th or 7th edition. If anyone is on  the fence  about this edition, like I was, I recommend it. 

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. " - Carl Jung

ReplyQuote
Dirge, AKA Jacob
Eminent Member
11/08/2017 1:32 am  

I'm mostly commenting to say how much I enjoy the Carl Jung quote in your signature.

In other news though, don't count out the randomness. Rolling a 1 on D6 damage definitely doesn't feel great lol. All in all I'm enamored of the new edition myself and glad to see others enjoying it.

Nothing is to be feared, only understood. -Marie Curie

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
11/08/2017 9:07 am  
Posted by: Dirge

I'm mostly commenting to say how much I enjoy the Carl Jung quote in your signature.

In other news though, don't count out the randomness. Rolling a 1 on D6 damage definitely doesn't feel great lol. All in all I'm enamored of the new edition myself and glad to see others enjoying it.

Thanks, I have enjoyed Carl Jung for some time. Dune was my favorite novel growing up and it wasn't until I took a course in mythology in college that I realized how much Carl Jung had influenced Frank Herbert and other writers. 

I do not mind the randomness of dice as far as damage and combat goes, what used to bother me in previous editions was things like my whirlwind destroying itself or reserves getting lost before they were even given a chance to fight.

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. " - Carl Jung

ReplyQuote
Dirge, AKA Jacob
Eminent Member
12/08/2017 3:10 pm  
Posted by: Watch Captain Enoch
Posted by: Dirge

Thanks, I have enjoyed Carl Jung for some time. Dune was my favorite novel growing up and it wasn't until I took a course in mythology in college that I realized how much Carl Jung had influenced Frank Herbert and other writers. 

I do not mind the randomness of dice as far as damage and combat goes, what used to bother me in previous editions was things like my whirlwind destroying itself or reserves getting lost before they were even given a chance to fight.

Dune is my favorite novel of all time, you have excellent taste sir. Have you read Jung's autobiography called "Memories, Dreams, Reflections"? I found it fascinating to hear him talk about his own psyche through the lens of his life's work.

I agree that reserves are 10 times better now and as someone who runs a lot of terminators I'm quite pleased. You sound like quite the interesting person, if you need an opponent drop me a line and we can set something up.

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
13/08/2017 12:59 pm  

Cool, you must have good taste too then :). We probably already know each other, this is Michael Wilson. I used to come in all the time on Fridays, but this last year I started working Fridays. I have read Carl Jung's autobiography, but it was many years ago.  I recently rekindled my appreciation for Jung after watching Dr. Jordan Peterson youtube videos. He has a great well of knowledge about Jung that he uses in many of his lectures. 

I am going to start looking for games during the day time. I will probably be in this week either Tues or Weds to play Nick Hasse again. If you have a day available next week that would be good.

ReplyQuote
Dirge, AKA Jacob
Eminent Member
13/08/2017 2:28 pm  

Perhaps we do, but I'm way better with faces than names. I'm Jacob, Thousand Sons/Dark Angels/Grey Knights. 

I have to work during the day unfortunately, but perhaps a weekend.

ReplyQuote
Trevian
Eminent Member
29/08/2017 10:37 pm  

I just recently got in my first couple games of this edition.  I like there being no templates too.  Templates and scatter was a concept that I liked in theory but never really worked well in practice.  The template was too subjective, were you being true to the direction of the arrow?  How many models were under the template was always hard to figure near the center of the table.  It was a good idea to do away with it.

I like the new psychic phase rules although I am frustrated with the limited abilities currently offered for my army.

I don't like that a very weak attack can hurt the strongest of models.

I do like that AP isn't all or nothing anymore.

All in all I am pretty happy with this edition.

ReplyQuote
Trevian
Eminent Member
29/08/2017 10:37 pm  

I just recently got in my first couple games of this edition.  I like there being no templates too.  Templates and scatter was a concept that I liked in theory but never really worked well in practice.  The template was too subjective, were you being true to the direction of the arrow?  How many models were under the template was always hard to figure near the center of the table.  It was a good idea to do away with it.

I like the new psychic phase rules although I am frustrated with the limited abilities currently offered for my army.

I don't like that a very weak attack can hurt the strongest of models.

I do like that AP isn't all or nothing anymore.

All in all I am pretty happy with this edition.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register