Forum 2017-04-10T16:14:40+00:00

8th Ed Escalation League Oct 2-Dec 22 2017  

Page 1 / 12 Next
  RSS

Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
19/09/2017 10:27 pm  

Escalation League

The year was 400.M41 when the Caelum system within the Halo Stars was struck with a massive warp storm. The mighty Watch Fortress Septuaginta was struck down from its orbit around Machon Secondus and landed on Machon's moon Erelim. Pieces of the Septuaginta were scattered among the six planets of the system: Relics, Exterminatus Devices, and possibly even Survivors. All left unclaimed for centuries.

The storm has now subsided as rapid and mysteriously as the day it arrived. Watch Fortress Haltmoat had been monitoring the system for an opportunity to reclaim Septuaginta and its secrets. Watch Master Zaccai sends Watch Captain Enoch and Watch Company Primus to secure Erelim and the ancient Watch Fortress. Watch Captain Enoch peers into his Imperial Tarot before the mission. The sign of the Astartes is drawn. Watch Captain Enoch takes this as a sign of victory and is emboldened.

Unfortunately, Watch Fortress Haltmoat was not the only interesting party monitoring the system. The warp storm awoke ancient Necrons , Aeldari forces from The Pandemonium Spiral, Chaos Forces from the Eye of Terror, Opportunistic Ork Raiders, Ravaging Tyranids, Scouting Tau Troops, and even rogue elements of the Imperium itself seek to claim the Caelum system, and with it what ever spoils the Septuaginta has to offer.

Welcome to the 2017 Gamer's Haven Escalation League. I am Michael Wilson A.K.A Watch Captain Enoch on these forums and I will be running the event. The event will start on Monday October 2nd and will last until Friday December 22nd . A tournament will be scheduled after the holidays in January TBA. The league will consist of 6, biweekly segments. You will be expected to play one game within those two weeks. Monday's and Fridays will be the days available for League play, please DO NOT come in on another night and expect a table. There are other games going on and those people deserve their time to play as well. I will be available during Weekdays in addition to Monday and Friday nights to play people who are unable to make those nights. If you can not commit to one game in two weeks this might not be the event for you. Fee will be 10$ for the league and entry into the tournament in January.

Purpose: The purpose of this event is to give people new to 8th edition and 40k in general a chance to get up to speed with the new rules, and grow the community. To meet that goal the first biweekly period will have heavy restrictions, but they will loosen up as the escalation continues. There is likely to be many new players in this league, if your only goal is to crush them utterly I would kindly ask you to find another venue as there are many others that offer that level of competitiveness. There will be points for painting and hobby aspects of the game, but they will not be the focus of this league. Missions will be narrative driven in a planetary system (The Caelum System) I created, but based on existing 40k lore.

Caelum System: Raquia( Volcanic Planet ), Hagrim ( Stormy Planet mostly water and small islands), Machon Primus ( Giant Mountain ranges, earth-like), Machon Secondus ( Desert/Grasslands Planet), Zebul ( Gas Giant with small solid core. Ancient Forge World. ) , Araboth ( Frozen Tundra, Remnants of Necrons everywhere) Erelim (Moon of Machon Secondus, the watch fortress crashed here. Watch Captain Enoch’s team has stationed itself here)

Schedule: First two weeks (Oct 2nd - 13th)25 power:  Only Battle forged Armies, Only one Detachment, No Named Characters, No Flyers, No Pskyers, - Battle of the first planet Raquia

Second two weeks 40 power: Only Battle forged Armies, Only one Detachment, No Named Characters, No Flyers, - Battle of the second planet Hagrim

Third two weeks 55 power: Only Battle forged Armies, Up to two detachments, No Named Characters,– Battle of the third planet Machon Primus

Fourth two weeks 70 power: Only Battle forged Armies, Up to two detachments, Battle of the fourth planet Machon Secondus

Fifth two weeks 85 power: Only Battle forged Armies, Up to three detachments, - Battle of the fifth planet Zebul

Sixth Two weeks 100 power: Only Battle forged Armies, - Battle of the Sixth planet Araboth

All Missions will be listed the first day of the two week segment on the forums. Most will be based on existing Narrative, or Match Play missions.

Additional Rules: You may keep up to 7 unspent power from the previous two week segment to spend later. I will be present at the first Monday of every two week period to collect rosters, or you can email them to me (Michael.Brandon.Wilson@gmail.com) . Once you commit to a roster you will be held to the units on your roster, but you can change out weapons and gear choices every two weeks. For the tournament I might allow for more changes, but that will be announced with the tournament date. Models should be 50% games workshop and What You See Is What You Get as much as possible, some caveats for gear/weapon changes are understandable so long as you make your opponent aware of the changes. No proxies for units. Watch Captain Enoch is not the only one able to peer into his tarot, every participant will be given a laminated sheet with a Tarot card and space to write things like command points and warlord traits. The tarot card will have minor abilities to help you in your games.

Imperial Tarot:

High Priest- Reroll a deny the witch roll once per game

Emperor/The God-Emperor- Reroll a failed moral check once per game

Harlequin- Cause opponent to reroll a successful to hit roll once per game

Inquisitor- Reroll a to hit roll once per game

Assassin- Reroll a wound roll once a game

Astartes- +1 command point

Daemon- Cause opponent to reroll a successful moral check once a game

Hulk- Once per game nominate one model. If it takes a wound, roll a D6. On a 6 ignore one wound from one attack.

Galaxy- Reroll advance dice for one unit once a game

Star- Once per game add a D3 to manifest a psychic power

Knight- Once per game an independent character 6” from a unit can take a wound for that unit. Use the independent character's save and abilities for that wound.

Sword- Once per game add a D3 damage to a single weapon attack. Declare this before rolling to hit with that weapon

Emperor's Throne- Once per game choose one of your models. That model can use your warlord trait as if it is also a warlord for one phase.

Eye of Horus- Once per game cause opponent to reroll psyker test. If a perils is rolled as the final result, the psyker suffers D6 mortal wounds instead of D3. If the psyker dies all the units in 6” suffer D6 mortal wounds instead of D3.

Points/Prizes: Points will be accumulated for two weeks, then reset at the start of every biweekly period. This will give people that might have missed a game due to illness or other mishap a chance to get back into the league without feeling too far behind. HOWEVER, should I suspect you are using this opportunity to game the system somehow to get an edge on other player's rosters or what have you, as with any form of cheating I will personally refund your money and remove you from the league. There will be a prize given on the Monday following each two weeks (the same Monday I will be collecting rosters). If you can not make it on Monday the winner will be announced on the forums and you can pick up your gift certificate from the store. There will be a little something extra for most favored player during the league announced on Dec 22nd. Which will be the last day of the league where I will also give out the prize for that last segment.  The most favored opponent will be a simple vote among all the players (Have to have played  them to vote for them,  should  go without saying. The more  different people  you play,  the more potential votes).

3 league points

Win your match for the two weeks

2 league points

Tie your match for the two weeks

2 league points

Play someone you didn't play in league yet. Automatically get these for the first two weeks.

1 league point

Secure a piece of the Septuaginta (Will have additional bonuses in the tournament)

1-4 league points

Paint the force you are playing with at least 3 colors 1 point. +1 for having base painted/flocked. +1 if Models have layers, drybrushing, washed, and/or other advanced painting techniques. +1 for unique models using kit-bashing or custom bits.  Doesn't need to be a candidate for the Golden Demon, just have attempted these things. (If unsure see me or a member of the store)

3 league points

Would your opponent play with you again based on your sportsmanship? (To be signed by opponent)

Addendum: This system is still new and codices are still coming out. It is likely we will see more FAQs and rules as this stuff is released. Should an issue arise due to this I will try my best to accommodate anyone it effects, but I can not promise it will be completely satisfactory. This is my first time running an escalation league and 40k tournament, though I have run some combat patrol events back in 6th/7th edition, so please excuse minor mistakes and come to me or the store staff with any issues that may have been missed. In the event of a tie for any of the prizes, all winners will receive a prize of equal value. If this occurs too often I reserve the right to adjust league points. I will be posting my roster on the forums giving people who are completely new a chance to see how it is done and maybe a leg up should they play me (which should  only occur if you are unable to get  someone on the official days). If I get multiple people trying to play me a week I will try to coordinate that you play each other instead, and if I see the same people consistently I will begin to question the reason. Also, not only do I have zero tolerance for cheating, I have the utmost contempt for it and anyone caught doing it. We have a good community here and I believe those who play at this store are of quality character, moral fiber, and integrity. Do not prove me wrong in this or you will be removed from the league (and likely anything else I run in the future).

See you all on Oct 2nd.  Sign-Ups should be posted at the store within the week, hopefully by  this Friday. 

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. " - Carl Jung

Trevian liked
ReplyQuote
Dirge, AKA Jacob
Eminent Member
20/09/2017 1:47 am  

Might I suggest limiting the use of Lords of War also? For example I could just bring a Stormsword super-heavy tank for 25 power and it'd likely be absurd. I look forward to seeing your roster and figuring out which of my armies would fit well into the campaign.

Nothing is to be feared, only understood. -Marie Curie

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
20/09/2017 6:02 am  
Posted by: Dirge

Might I suggest limiting the use of Lords of War also? For example I could just bring a Stormsword super-heavy tank for 25 power and it'd likely be absurd. I look forward to seeing your roster and figuring out which of my armies would fit well into the campaign.

Oh, yes. No Lords of War or Forge World in this Escalation either. There are plenty of Tournaments to bring that stuff to, this is really for new players and people that want to try a new army maybe or help build the community. Thanks for pointing that out.

My Deathwatch roster will be up before end of the week. Almost done just need some gear specifics.

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. " - Carl Jung

ReplyQuote
Shea
 Shea
Eminent Member
20/09/2017 8:00 pm  

Forgive the noob questions but this will be my first league:

How/where/by when do we register?

By roster, are you saying that we need to post all the units that we will have access to during the run?

-Is this in any format?

-Do you want them by segment? Broken out in any way?

-Can it exceed the 100 PL limit? (Example, since I can't use named characters for the first few games but can later on where do I stuff them?)

How do we schedule games?  Is there going to be a randomized pairing or do we set them up ourselves?

Thanks Mike for setting this up, sounds like fun!

The Emperor Commands Us.
Dorn Guides Us.
Honor Shields Us.

Fear Our Name.
For it is Vengeance.
-Black Templars

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
20/09/2017 9:53 pm  
Posted by: Shea

Forgive the noob questions but this will be my first league:

How/where/by when do we register?

By roster, are you saying that we need to post all the units that we will have access to during the run?

-Is this in any format?

-Do you want them by segment? Broken out in any way?

-Can it exceed the 100 PL limit? (Example, since I can't use named characters for the first few games but can later on where do I stuff them?)

How do we schedule games?  Is there going to be a randomized pairing or do we set them up ourselves?

Thanks Mike for setting this up, sounds like fun!

Great! this will be a good first league for you. No  problems with the questions if they  weren't clear  to you probably wasn't clear to others.

Registering- This will be done at the store. It isn't set up yet, probably wont be until Friday. There  will be  a sign in sheet you  will sign once you  paid the 10$ and then you will get your Tarot card. 

Roster- You do not  need  to  post your roster for others, just submit  it to me. I will be checking to make  sure things are kosher from time  to time. I will be posting my roster as an  example and incase someone plays me  might  give them  a baseline to compare their army to. You will maintain the same roster as  the escalation escalates  and just add to it. You have to keep the same units  as  before, but you  can add gear/weapons even  if  this  means new models  (lets  say you added bikes  to a captain or  a jump  pack  ect) later  in the  escalation.

Format- The league is a  narrative based format, the missions will be my creations, but heavily influenced by the missions  in the book.   The tournament will be match play w/narrative elements. Escalation in  a way  is its own format with the heavy restrictions that are lifted slowly through out the league to open up more  options and give newer players a chance to learn the basics before being bombarded with psykers and  flyers ect.

Do you want them by segment? Broken out in any way? I think you mean your roster? So the first  two weeks in the schedule  you will make  a roster for 25 power. Then it  will  increase by 15 power every two weeks. The restrictions I  have put on the rosters must be kept, battleforged armies is one that will be  maintained throughout which just means you need  to keep them segmented  into detachments. 

Can it exceed 100 pl?- No. You can  however keep some power  behind to spend later, up to 7 power.  I expect most people will save 1-2  power  each week and will have enough for landraiders ect later in the escalation. Besides the power  increases by 15 every two  weeks . I am hard  pressed to find a character that cost more than that. 

How do we schedule games?  Is there going to be a randomized pairing or do we set them up ourselves?  Part of an escalation league is  to build the community and have everyone meet people on their own and schedule games. I will be coming  in early every Friday and reserve tables for  the league. I  am making myself available on the  league days and  during the days of the week if you can  not find someone to play, and if I get  multiple people  with that issue I will facilitate that those people play each other where possible.  So you will be setting them up yourself  for the most part, no randomizing. When we  do the tournament in January I might try to tier it out with those  that did worse  in the escalation as far as wins  go pair off first, ect. 

Hope that clarifies things. 

ReplyQuote
Zackk
21/09/2017 4:18 am  

I leave for a vacation on Friday that lasts until October 1st. So I will be back in time to start the league. Is it possible to register and sign up day of? Or can I leave the money at the store with an employee and pick up the things I get on the 2nd

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
22/09/2017 6:17 am  

It shows that someone has responded to this thread, but I have been unable to read it. This website has some issues. If you have a question it might be better to email me @ Michael.Brandon.Wilson@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
22/09/2017 10:42 am  

The Tarot cards are laminated and with them you will get a sheet of six point cards for scoring your 6 bi-weekly games. The Tarot cards came out ok, the score cards not so much. I spent the day at Fedex Office and I felt like I was in a reenactment of the old Dave Chappelle skit of Popcopy.  There are enough Tarot cards for 14 people, if more sign up beyond that you will get a tarot card, but it will not be laminated. Sorry, but I absorbed the cost for that so if you want to laminate it you can on your own. 

ReplyQuote
Sturm
22/09/2017 8:30 pm  

Hey Mike, I was noticing for week one you show no psykers are allowed. I do know of some Grey Knights and Thousand sons players at the store, and I am unsure of how their armies work this edition so far, but if I recall correctly all of their units tend to be psykers, so if a player wanted to play one of those armies they would be unable to. Would there be an exception for these  armies week one in this case?

ReplyQuote
Trevian
Eminent Member
22/09/2017 8:39 pm  

Sounds great! I will be in this weekend to register.

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
22/09/2017 10:08 pm  
Posted by: Sturm

Hey Mike, I was noticing for week one you show no psykers are allowed. I do know of some Grey Knights and Thousand sons players at the store, and I am unsure of how their armies work this edition so far, but if I recall correctly all of their units tend to be psykers, so if a player wanted to play one of those armies they would be unable to. Would there be an exception for these  armies week one in this case?

Thanks for pointing that out, I  had others look at this before I presented  it and  it missed their attention too.  The intent is to allow people to learn the phases and rules at  a slow pace is  the reason for  the restriction.  So I guess the  caveat  to that  is if  your  Army requires you to have  a psyker and no other option, then it will  be allowed. Still no named characters.  Other Armies will have to wait to bring that Librarian in Terminator Armor.  

*Edit,  Thousand  Sons and Grey Knight players may find  it  helpful (and thematic) to play each other the first  two weeks

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
22/09/2017 10:55 pm  

My Roster for  the Battle of  Raquia

Patrol Detachment

HQ- Captain  equipped w/Xenophase Blade and Stormshield  5 power

Troops- Deathwatch Kill Team    9 power

Watch Sergeant-  Plasma Gun and Stormshield

Deathwatch Veteran  #1 - Heavy Thunder Hammer

Deathwatch Veteran  #2-4 - Missile Launcher

Transport - Razorback  w/Twin Lascannon  5 power

Fast  Attack- Deathwatch Bikers    5  power

Biker Sergeant- Power Maul

Biker #1-2- Power Sword

As you can see  this  is 24  power.  That means I have that will carry over  for later  in the escalation. You can have up to 7, but remember if you weaken your force to do this your opponent  can  have  an advantage for  the current two week segment. I hope this is  helpful. No  one  is  required to list  their roster,  in fact  it  isn't advised, I  did it  to give an example and give people a simple baseline to  weight their forces against.  Please email me or have a printout of your roster prior to Oct 2.  

ReplyQuote
Dirge, AKA Jacob
Eminent Member
23/09/2017 1:32 pm  

Thanks for posting your roster, I will begin working on mine and sign up soon! I appreciate someone looking out for us psyker army players but in my case I don't want to bring Thousand Sons something like this as they're pretty strong and not the most friendly. In the spirit of things I'll bring forces that I'm currently building/painting.

Nothing is to be feared, only understood. -Marie Curie

ReplyQuote
Watch Captain Enoch
Estimable Member
23/09/2017 1:36 pm  
Posted by: Dirge

Thanks for posting your roster, I will begin working on mine and sign up soon! I appreciate someone looking out for us psyker army players but in my case I don't want to bring Thousand Sons something like this as they're pretty strong and not the most friendly. In the spirit of things I'll bring forces that I'm currently building/painting.

I appreciate that thank you

ReplyQuote
Sturm
23/09/2017 11:09 pm  

The Imperial Fists are ready to assist the Deathwatch in securing this important sector. For the Emperor Brothers!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 12 Next

Working

Please Login or Register